He was born on the 20th February 1961, holds a diploma in Psychology from the University of Coimbra, and he is the Lord Mayor of Águeda since 2005.
>> From 2005:
Recognizing the number of companies from Águeda related with the lighting cluster and the role of the municipality in giving a new impetus to the local business sector, he developed the creation of the Lighting Living Lab, in partnership with companies from Águeda and the Technology and Management School of Águeda [Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão de Águeda]. The SIG Luzee project was born from that Living Lab, and this project is geo-referenced information system of the public lighting in the municipality’s territory, with data such as power, fixture type, etc.
Gil Nadais has also launched a pilot project on a European scale, which aims to place 2.200 public light LED fixtures, controlled remotely by a WiMAX system.
In 2009, he signed the Covenant of Mayors, aiming to implement a set of strategic actions to increase energy efficiency by the Municipality and reduce CO2 emissions. Among the actions we find: web services, administrative modernisation [Simplex Autárquico], installation of photovoltaic panels on municipal buildings, purchase of electric of hybrid technology vehicles, etc.
One should also mention the project “Urban Centre of the Future” which consists in preparing a specification model, with technical specifications that enable the recovery of the buildings of the urban area, respecting the criteria for sustainability.
>> Participations / Presentations
- Participant in the visit to Singapore and Dublin in the mission of the Intelligent Cities Project (January 2007)
- Participant in the Open Days 2007-2012 – European Week of Regions and Cities, in Brussels
- Participant in the Hamburg City Climate Conference’09, in Hamburg, Germany (November 2009)
- Participant in the presentation of innovative projects with “Águeda Smart Cities”, in Brussels (January 2010)
- Energie-Cités Annual Meeting, with the theme “Inventing Tomorrow: city life in transition”, in Salerno (Italy) (April 2010)
- Future Internet and Living Labs Networking – ENOLL 4th wave launch, in Valencia (Spain) (April 2010)
- 6th European Conference on Sustainable Cities & Towns “Delivering Sustainable Cities: the local leadership challenge”, in Dunkirk (France) (May 2010)
- Opening of the Seminar “Urban Centre of the Future” – platform for sustainable building”, under the Urban Redevelopment project (July 2010)
- Participant in the Local Renewables Conference, in Freiburg (October 2010)
- Participant in the European Green Capital Conference 2010, in Sweden (October 2010)
- Participant in the 1st International Culture Industry Summit 2012 (ICIS 2012), in Jiayuguan, China (September 2012);
- Participant in the 2nd Global Economic Leaders Summit 2012 (GELS 2012), in Changchun, China (September 2012);
- Participant/presenter in the EU-China Mayors Forum 2012, under the Covenant of Mayors, in Brussels (September 2012)
- Participant/presenter in the Open Days 2012 – 10th European Week of Regions and Cities, in Brussels (October 2012)
- Participant/presenter in the Smart City Expo World Congress and Fira de Barcelona (November 2012), with the presentation “City case: Europe”
- Participant/presenter in the 3rd Smart City of Krakow Conference, Poland (November 2012), with the presentation “Strategies for Intelligent Cities”